History of the Kelvin Club

January 11, 2023


Our Melbourne Place home was originally built in 1873 as a warehouse by JB Watson. During the 1920-50s it was the broadcast and recording studio for…
January 11, 2023

Amalgamation with The Stock Exchange Club

In 1976 the Stock Exchange Club amalgamated with Kelvin and fifty-nine of their Members were added to Kelvin’s roll, bringing with them many fabulous art pieces.
January 11, 2023

The admission of female members

Minutes dating back to 1968 indicate the Committee’s desire to offer membership to women, however this was hampered by legislation. As a result of changes to…
January 11, 2023

Purchase of Freehold

The Kelvin Club purchases the Melbourne Place freehold in for £25,000 ($50,000).
January 11, 2023

New Location in Melbourne Place

During the Presidency of Sir Leo Curtis (Lord Mayor of Melbourne 1964-65), the Club moved in downstairs at our current premises at 14-30 Melbourne Place.
January 11, 2023

On The Move Again

The Kelvin Club moved again, leasing premises at 360 Little Collins Street.
January 1, 1927

Name change to Kelvin Club

The Fitzroy Bowling Club moves to 53/55 Collins Place. No longer having a bowling green, the name was changed to The Kelvin Club after Lord Kelvin…
January 13, 1865

Founded in 1865

The Kelvin Club is formed (incorporated on the 13th January, 1865) as the Fitzroy Bowling Club, under the presidency of Hon. George Harker, MLA. The Club…